jueves, 29 de enero de 2009

The letter F

I'm not going to write about something that will absolutely enlighten you, or the amazing encounter I had with Elvis Presley last weekend. I'm going to talk about something many of you classmates may have long ago abandoned.
Over winter break I managed to finally speak in pig Latin- the Spanish adaptation. When I was in elementary, many kids, especially my cousins, spoke in the cryptic English version, which, no matter how many times they attempted to explain to me I was never able to decipher; like the cliché story of the outcast child in the playground, I often felt lonely,and depressed. No, I lied , I wasn't that dramatic.
I did however, wish I could twist my words into the confusing sound to what these children referred to as pig Latin. Only now do I realize that this long wait would pay off because like I said before, I can now speak Spanish pig Latin.
We don't refer to it with that term, so please don't take what I have shown you today to ask your Spanish-speaking amigos and ask them about Latin de Cochino. It is commonly named Efeefe, Efe Efe, Efenefe, etc. While it sounds much more complicated than its English relative, it is actually quite simple, and I must admit it sounds much more fluid. The trick is to place the letter f after every vowel, and then placing the same vowel after the f. Here's an example:

Aung Oo no entiende la diferencia entre el aplauso y el trono de los dedos.
Aung Oo nofo efentifiefendefe lafa dififeferefencifiafa efentrefe efel afaplafaufusofo y efel trofonofo defe lofos defedofos.
Aung Oo does not understand the difference between clapping and snapping fingers.

If you would like me to say a sentence in efeefe so you can hear what it sounds like I would be glad to show you.
I fully understand that many of you will probably not be nearly as interested in this as I am, seeing as many of you don't know what in the world I am talking about. If you can remember a time however, when the simplicity of switching around the letters in a language gave so many people a smile, or when you could find entertainment in building things with Legos simply to take them apart again, or when there was no such thing as worries about money, politics, or school, then maybe, you can see why I can write so much about the letter f.


1 comentario:

Cecilia dijo...

This I need to see. I really like your reflective writing style by the way!

¡y me interesa español! pero no puedo hablar muy bien:(